ZS40 I love the panorama mode, yes, really!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ireno
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
ZS40 I love the panorama mode, yes, really!
6 months ago

I have seen many complaints about the panorama mode on the ZS40 that I feel I should defend it. I have been taking and stitching panos for years and, of course, one will get higher quality pictures stitching several 5 mb photos together rather than the 700 or 800 kb auto panorama. And I also thought that it was absolutely necessary to choose my zoom level. And, for the very best, take the 'big' camera and tripod too.

The built in panorama mode on the ZS30 was truly awful. Unbelievable banding. Even my Galaxy phone could blend colors faultlessly with no banding. but the ZS40 is doing very well I think. I hike and interact with groups of people and the requirement is take every photo FAST. Even for scenery there is no stopping--just point and shoot (and pray)! My panos are not going to make a magazine cover but for display on my 43" TV I'm completely happy.

As for the zoom distance, I took many, many panos with my ZS30 and always also shot corresponding photos to stitch. Surprisingly I mostly liked the view from the auto ones better than the "real" panoramas. But the auto ones were mostly garbage because of the banding.

Here's a link to a few taken last month. Click on the first picture, then then when it opens click on 'slideshow' and it will go full screen. Use your keyboard arrow keys to navigate. They are mostly OOC or with just Google's available adjustment.

https://plus.google.com/photos/116634327898260713823/albums/6011462003062846401

-- hide signature --

ireno

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow