D4 or D800E for birds?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,193Gear list
Like?
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 4 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I have 100% faith in the Digital Picture crops at the chart distance at least, it's never let me down choosing a lens or misled me in any way. Does anyone have any hard evidence to demonstrate softness with this Tamron lens? Pictures? At the very minimum I would provisionally consider it well within the necessary parameters to produce a very sharp bird pic, which is a lot less revealing target than a test chart.

Having used the 500VR with the 1.4 t.c., my bird shots show a notch worse sharpness than the 80-400VR at 400mm, and it's an easy call. I'll just have to see with the Tamron.

I have both the 500 and the 80-400 f4.5-5.6G and the 500+1.4xTC is definitely a better bet than the 80-400. I don't know what is wrong with your 500+1.4xTC combo.

Even if it is merely 95% as sharp as the 500VR at f8, which appears to be more or less the case, I would consider it a godsend not to have to carry around the leaden weight and bulk of the big primes, to say nothing of paying for them, which I will never do.

Well, that's a different call. I am prepared to do that for ultimate IQ.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow