D4 or D800E for birds?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,903Gear list
Like?
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069
In reply to jamesg28, 2 months ago

jamesg28 wrote:

Well, gents, I'm not expecting the corners to be as sharp as the big primes, but I don't care about the corners that much, especially in 1.2 crop mode. In the center to mid, I would expect the Tamron item to be very sharp indeed, as Roger Cicala has said. And as as I say, looking at the Canon samples.

TDP crops look very good indeed at 500 f8.

I'll be testing this thing as soon as Lensrentals gets theirs and ships it to me, and posting about it too:^)

I am not one to argue about equipment or come across as arrogant. I have "been there done that" with cheaper glass in the past. Eventually most serious photographers will realize the compromises and wonder why they didn't invest in superior glass to start with (eg 300 f4 if on a budget).

It is one thing to have to shoot 500/600mm at f8 and beyond with the tamron and sigmas. That is the other thing you pay for with the telephoto primes. I like to shoot early morning and late afternoon. Nothing can match 500mm at f4 in low light. Or even 700mm at f5.6 because it is sharp wide open. Stopping down is the order of the day with consumer zooms. They are not for use in the "best light of the day". Yes we can use higher ISOs these days. However there are many compromises there too.

Agreed. In good light most lenses will perform, as will most cameras. However, when the light gets low, or the going gets tough, then the "real" (;-)) lenses are the ones to reach for. The fact of the matter is, it is rare that you will have good light or enough light for the ISO/shutter/aperture combo for these long lenses to perform at their peak. Even on a bright day at f8 and needing a minimum of 1/1000sec shutter speeds to freeze action of a bird you will still be pushing ISO high and compromising quality. It's rare that I shoot at ISO100 with birds with my 500, in fact I doubt I could find an image in my collection with my 500 at ISO100!

I have the 80-400 f4.5-5.6 and in good light it "matches" my 300 f2.8 VRII, like the Tamron 150-600 is supposed to be going to match the 500 f4, but in all reality, no lens touches the 300 f2.8 VRII 'cept probably the 200 f2G. That's just the way it is and no amount of wishing or tilting of facts will change that. As others have stated, you get what you pay for and to think a $2,000 consumer zoom will touch a $11,000 prime is a little fanciful.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow