D4 or D800E for birds?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jamesg28
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 7 months ago

Well, gents, I'm not expecting the corners to be as sharp as the big primes, but I don't care about the corners that much, especially in 1.2 crop mode.  In the center to mid, I would expect the Tamron item to be very sharp indeed, as Roger Cicala has said.  And as as I say, looking at the Canon samples.

TDP crops  look very good indeed at 500 f8.

I'll be testing this thing as soon as Lensrentals gets theirs and ships it to me, and posting about it too:^)

I am not one to argue about equipment or come across as arrogant. I have "been there done that" with cheaper glass in the past. Eventually most serious photographers will realize the compromises and wonder why they didn't invest in superior glass to start with (eg 300 f4 if on a budget).

It is one thing to have to shoot 500/600mm at f8 and beyond with the tamron and sigmas. That is the other thing you pay for with the telephoto primes. I like to shoot early morning and late afternoon. Nothing can match 500mm at f4 in low light. Or even 700mm at f5.6 because it is sharp wide open. Stopping down is the order of the day with consumer zooms. They are not for use in the "best light of the day". Yes we can use higher ISOs these days. However there are many compromises there too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow