Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
21st Hermit
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,320
Like?
Balanced Rocks - ZS40 w/GPS
7 months ago

The ZS40 is my first Panasonic travel zoom. The included GPS with both geotagging and logging was a MAJOR incentive for the purchase. The pocket size and EVF were THE main reasons for selecting the ZS40. I've read many disses regarding the bad battery life using the GPS, totally not my experience. I've done three half-day hikes recently with the GPS on the entire time and I can barely nudge the battery indicator, from full to 2-bars after the third hike. So much for a mini GPS review.

I've noticed a number of Balanced Rocks near where I live and decided to geotag the rocks and show them in map context to demonstrate the value of the GPS.  Each pair shows a context and a close photo with the map after the first pair.

This one is as big as a bus

All granite, colored by a million years of weathering

Garmin BaseCamp Map and Photo Viewer, Free Download (click to enlarge)

The first image is highlighted on the map, that image appears in the photo viewer. Normally the selected image is centered on the map. The twin arrows (bottom) allow you to sequence through the images, they will automatically be centered on the map. I've adjusted the map off-center to condense the presentation. Both the map and photo viewer can be any size your monitor allows.

Bigger than a refrigerator

Hope you like the frosting

Storm trooper hat

Not so big, perhaps 3-feet

Six to eight feet across, lots more granite in the background

This is the most delicately balanced

In this presentation you can see the four photo pairs on the map, just not which photo belongs to each pair. With the live map all that is trivial.

-- hide signature --

Lost in the Colorado Mountains!!!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow