Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozonation
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
Best smallish walk around camera?
4 months ago

What are the latest opinions on the best, "smallish" walk around camera? I normally shoot FF Nikons, but I don't carry those around for casual outings. I have (had?) an Olympus XZ-1 that I picked up a couple of years ago on sale that turned into a fantastic walkaround camera, but it's getting a little old and somebody might want to buy it from me.

I have a Fuji XE1 and an older Panasonic GF1, but they're not overly pocketable. On the other hand, I don't want something so small that it's hard to handle.

I've looked up various travel camera recommendations, and many suggest the Sony RX100 II. Nice camera, but I have to admit I'm not a huge Sony fan - I tried the camera but it doesn't quite appeal to me.

I'm tempted to pick up an Olympus XZ-2 since they're on sale, except I'm wondering when the long overdue XZ-3 is coming. The XZ-1 was great though: it could really balance the flash nicely, so I'm assuming the XZ-2 can as well.

I looked at the Nikon P7800 given that some of my Nikon accessories would work with it and it has a nice articulated screen but it's gotten relatively poor reviews and it is rather chunky.

The Canon G1X Mk2 looks nice - it could be a contender, and I had good experiences with the G7 ages ago.

Finally, the Panasonic GM1 intrigued me - it's so small! And it would work with my older m4/3 stuff, and my wife has Olympus m4/3 too. It's got the disadvantage of needing to carry more than one lens if I want to be fussy, but a nice large sensor is great.

I wouldn't mind an articulated screen because we just had a baby and I probably will want to take the dreaded parental selfies with the kid! But I guess any camera with wireless will let me use an app to control it for the most part, so an articulating screen is no longer as critical.

Cost is important, but I'd be willing to be pay more for the right camera upfront.

Thoughts?

Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow