Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Just another nail in their coffin
In reply to Marty4650, 5 months ago

Marty4650 wrote:

I hope you realize there is nothing that special about a seal. It is extremely easy for an unscrupulous seller to reseal a box. If they are determined to do it, it can be done, and it will be virtually undetectable by most people.

Like rules, they are meant to broken! I'm think more than shrink wrapping, or a thick clear tape that might be defeated, but more one those seals you see on software. Some are have a 3D image.

But you're right, anyone determined enough can defeat that. The company I work for has hologram type seals in some items, and we have found that on counterfeit product.  I mean the real seals, that have been stolen somewhere along the line.  We have found counterfeit register receipts with counterfeit rebates, using stolen retailer register tapes.

That's a whole other issue, black market, gray market, etc. But for the authorized dealer network, I would think they would not do such things.  Just not worth the risk.

In my view, the real solution is to allow returns for defects only, and not for "I changed my mind."

So the B&M ... Buy and try might be the only advantage they have left, but it will drive their costs even higher. This is a no win situation for them.

These two comments seem to at odds. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you.  Can you elaborate a little? You have made a lot of great points, I'd like to understand this better.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow