Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
Sony 1670Z - Some Comparisons w/ My Other Lenses
2 months ago

Before I get started, I realize this isn't any kind of scientific lens test (so I don't really need any comments regarding that). If you will be so kind, this is just an informal comparison with two other lenses I have to get some kind of idea if the 16-70Z is worth the $750 I paid for it.

I was hoping for something incredible I guess and it seems I'm a little less than wowed so I thought I do the best I could to get some opinions from some forum people.

I have the SEL 1855 (kit), the SEL 18200 (original version), and (of course) the Sony 1670Z. I did the best I could considering the slightly different focal lengths and f-stops.

Camera NEX 5N

FOCAL LENGTH 18 @ F 5.6

Sony 1670Z

SEL 1855

SEL 18200

FOCAL LENGTH 70 (55 for the kit lens) @ f 5.6

Sony 1670Z

SEL 1855 (@ 55)

SEL 18200

FOCAL LENGTH 18 @ F 11

Sony 1670Z

SEL 1855

SEL 18200

FOCAL LENGTH 70 (55 for the kit lens) @ F 11

Sony 1670Z

SEL 1855 @ 55

SEL 18200

ALSO, the Sony 1670Z @ (about) 55mm:

@ F 5.6

@ F 11

Hopefully I've gotten all the photos positioned correctly. The method of selecting photos from an album doesn't allow one to see the title. AND, hopefully I've gotten everything set up so people can view the original.

REQUESTING thoughts on 1670Z sharpness as compared to the other lenses I have. These are all JPGs OOC with NO processing applied. Taken on STD setting on camera (no vivid, etc). Tripod mounted.

Should this lens be better? Are all my lenses a bit soft?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow