Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,852Gear list
Like?
lens suggestions
7 months ago

I'm traveling to Europe this summer and would like to carry as little camera equipment (both weight and bulk) as possible so I'm looking for a zoom.  The camera is a D800E and the three lenses in question are the

Nikon - 24-120 f4

Nikon 28 - 300 f4.5/5.6

Nikon 70 - 300 f4.5/5.6

Rockwell indicates that the 24-120 and 28-300 are about equal (both with quite a bit of distortion) with the 24-120 marginally better. All the lenses are slow. Rockwell also likes the 70-300.  But Rockwell can sometimes be loony tunes.  DXO Mark finds the 24-120 slight better than the 70-300 and 28-300.

The 70-300 is smaller and lighter and I would take my 50 f1.4 AFD (my workhorse for a fast lens) if I'm doing anything serious.  Otherwise this lens will be used for shape in decent light.

I would appreciate any suggestion from those that might have some experience with the above lenses. Any other options would also be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow