Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Any interesting idea
In reply to karlreed, 7 months ago

There are businesses here in the US that do, or have tried,  that on some items.  Off-hand I can't recall any specific examples. I can see where it would be a put-off for some people.

If cameras and lenses were sealed, however, universally, then opening a sealed box for someone to try would be of some risk to retailers: some customers may only want sealed units, or some may argue for a discount because the box was opened. And, as some have pointed out, it's impossible for a retailer to have a demo unit of every item.

So a trial fee, applied towards the purchase of the item, may become more acceptable than it is today.   For one thing, it would cut down on customers who are not serious buyers, but want to touch and hold everything just because they can.

I could see B&M's being able to open boxes for serious customers, and not have to charge a fee ... provided they could gain a reputation of trust. In other words, the trial is controlled and monitored responsibly, and the store makes a point of "selling" that aspect of the trial.  So customers can be assured that the store is being honest, and not just trying to re-sell used gear as new.

One problem here in the USA seems to be that local B&M's have lost that trust over the years.  Many comments on this board about rude sales people, perhaps justifiably bitter about their decline in revenue vs. the internet retailers, but still inexcusable.  All that does is compound the problem.

I don't think I should have to pay more to be sure I'm getting what's advertised as a new item, just to be sure I'm not getting a recycled return.  But, to your point, I'm already paying for that somewhere along the line because indeed there is no such thing as a free lunch.

karlreed wrote:

One or two chains here (Australia) will not let you try, even in the store, before you buy. They are NOT the cheapest, BTW.

In my state (Victoria), consumer law does not require an exchange or refund policy, however, many, many stores have such a policy, or, can be persuaded to agree to one.

I have often wondered whether stores should charge a refundable trial fee, for tests in the shop.

There is no such thing as free lunch, so, I will pay a bit more for the ability to return or exchange.

-- hide signature --

karl reed

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow