Shop cameras & lenses ▾
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
Do both
In reply to bahamot, May 9, 2014

bahamot wrote:

1943Mike wrote:

Does anyone think that Olympus will offer an OMD camera with a 24 mp or greater sensor in the near future?

-- hide signature --

1943Mike

Instead improve sensor's SNR.

-- hide signature --

Develop along two lines! Different photographers have different needs, which is clearly obvious in this thread. If i were Olympus I would let the next EM-1 keep 16 Mp but improve AF and high ISO performance for those who want to shoot fast moving subjects and/or in bad light. And put a 24 Mp or greater MP count sensor in the next E-M5 for those who shoot landscape and architecture in good light and to whom resolution is important.

This is what other manufacturers do, not so obvious for APS-C models but it's a very clear strategy regarding FF: A7 contra A7r, D4 contra D800, 1Dx contra 5DIII. If Olympus want to be a serious alternative to FF for all kinds of photographers this is what they have to do.

So I believe Olympus will introduce a 24 or more MP camera quite soon. But that doesn't mean they sholuld abandon 16 MP. There is still a lot to do to improve C-AF, DR and high ISO performance on that sensor size.

But those of you who long for a 12 MP sensor will probably be disappointed.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow