Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GreatPumpkin
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Medium format petition?
7 months ago

Would it be worthwhile for Sigma fans to petition the company to produce a medium format Foveon sensor and camera? I know it's no trivial undertaking. It would be more silicon, far more pixels and would require a heftier processor. On the other hand, even if they used the current CPU, medium format photographers are probably more patient and might be OK with waiting longer for a photo to write to flash. I could imagine that 2 SD slots would be a good idea, alternating writing between them. I have no idea what costs would be involved in producing a huge sensor; I can speculate that chip packages exist for large chips and that the robots that solder the wires to the chip would need reprogramming, and that the machine that cuts the silicon wafer into individual chips would need to be reprogrammed as well but that should be routine for most chip fabs. Then there is the question of whether Sigma does already or can make the appropriate lens for medium format.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow