Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jones R
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This
In reply to MPA1, 2 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

How about requiring a camera to log on to the internet when first turned on before it will function further and register with the manufacturer's servers as 'activated'?

You do that and people will start screaming "hardware DRM".

I've been following this post for some time now. Local consumer laws (a Canadian province) state that a store, vendor or merchant is not required by law to provide a returns/exchange policy of any sort. This is including the cases of defective items, though the store, vendor or merchant is obligated to aid the buyer/customer in some way to mitigate or correct the problem.

That said, of the four local camera stores, only one claims to offer a returns/exchange policy. The other three explicitly state that they accept no returns of any sort, only exchanges upon receiving a defective item.

Local Best Buy offers the same return polity it offers in the U.S. Apparently a very flexible one, at that. I've seen multiple broken electronics boxes with clearly used products being resold as new. They're right there on the shelf with the other unopened boxes. The employees just say "oh they're still good".

I'm not sure how this post deviated into an argument about the UCC. I don't know what that is. But I fully support the idea of using tamper-evident seals on boxes and other packaging. Staying within the photography domain, local camera stores all have demo models of almost everything - even off-brand lens caps. And since three of these stores don't accept returns, their employees do make a visible effort to make sure a customer actually buys according to his or her needs, unlike the fourth store which is always pushing Canon-anything and store brands such as "Promaster".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow