Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neurad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?
Traveling to Scotland. WWYD
7 months ago

I appreciate everything that I learn in this forum. I need a little friend-to-friend advice. You don't know me and my priorities, but I'll give this a shot anyway.

I am trying to decide on a kit to take to Scotland for a two week visit next month. This will be a trip with my wife. The trip is "majoring in tourism with a strong minor in hobbyist photography". So photography is important, but so is lightness and minimal fiddling. My wife is very patient, but will quickly tire of too many lens changes and of tripod lugging/using.

My favorite subjects are landscape and architecture. Not too much into birding or sports. Don't do too much street shooting (of human subjects anyway) as I am uneasy with that for some reason. Don't want to get beat up, I guess.

My tentative plan is a "two camera plan". This is based on two prior occasions of sensor failure on my E-M5 while on trips. On the latter occasion, an RX1 that I had along saved the day. Not so the first time when all I had was a Canon S95 as backup. My E-M5 is repaired but gathering dust now.

So here's the kit I plan to bring. Please comment:

1. Sony RX 1 as a "prime" equivalent for the 35mm equiv focal length. I love this camera, and really like the in camera panos.

2. OMD E-M1 (option would be to bring my E-PL5)

3. mz 40-150 lens (necessary?)

4. mx 12-40 2.8 lens (this lens is awesome but so dang heavy....I'm wavering here

5. Bower (aka Samyang, Rokinon) 7.5 fisheye (option would be to bring mz 9-18 lens)

6. Maybe a mini tripod. I have a tiny manfrotto, thinking of buying a Velbon Ultra Maxi mini D although it may be too short to be practical. I have a Benro Travel Angel. To big and heavy to carry even though it's a "travel tripod".

One option I didn't mention....not taking the RX1 at all and only taking one camera (yikes). Or taking the E-M1 and E-PL5 (the latter instead of the RX1).

What do you think? What's a sensible kit here?

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow