Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Walt_A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527
Like?
Low cost, small, manual flash
4 months ago

Hi, I've started using my Pentax AF200T flash in manual mode a lot more for macro shots in the garden but cannot be bothered taking it out on my walks because of it's size and weight (still rely on the built in flash). So I've been looking for a manual flash that's small and light (takes 2 AA's rather than 4). I've come up with a few options such as the polaroid PL-108AF, 2nd hand Pentax AF160 or Dynasun CY-20. They vary in cost between £15 to £35, which seems reasonable. However there is a slight drawback that none have control over the flash output as the AF200T has, i.e. Full, 1/2, 1/4 etc. However I guess I could add a 2nd diffuser to help limit the output as a workaround. I'm looking for around GN20 min (the AF160 is a little weak at 16 and I'd be concerned that an older flash like that might have lost some of it's power and recycling times would be more than the modern new flashes?).

I use these flashes with either an interfit STR111 diffuser or a home made diffuser for all kinds of close up/macro of bugs.

So does anyone have any suggestions? (Used on a Kr, K-30, GX10 and K100D, it would be good if it could also work with my panasonic Gf2 as well).

Thanks

Pentax K100D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-r Samsung GX-10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow