Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005Gear list
Like?
Factory sealed boxes may spawn a whole new business opportunity
In reply to nikonjohn, 3 months ago

Right now, why pay to rent when you can rent for free?  Liberal return policies are, essentially, free 1 week, 2 weeks, as much as 30 days, rentals.

Factory seals may open a whole new business opportunities for retailers by suddenly making rentals an viable option. How about rent to own?

This could be a real opportunity for the local shops where, if you're interested in something, you can drive over and rent one in the same day. That's an advantage over mail order.  If you buy it, the rental fee is deducted from the price.  If you don't, the rental fee can be used to off-set selling the item as open box.  That ensures the retailer makes the same profit, either way.

Here's another business opportunity that creates for local B&M stores: a rental business will result in open box specials, which can bring potential customers into the store hunting for deals.

The key for the local store would be to use and advertise these tactics as "lost leaders": break even, traffic generators.

nikonjohn wrote:

to buy the equipment at full retail price as if it is fresh out of the box. I don't want fingerprints on it, I don't want the menus to be set, I don't want two or three thousand actuations on the shutter count, and I definitely don't want to have to guess whether the "new" equipment has been mishandled regardless of whether it has been kept on or off the premises.

A seal on the box would certainly take care of my concerns. If you want to get the experience of handling and trying out the equipment, then how about renting it instead of expecting the brick and mortar operators to crack their boxes or, worse yet, buying it off the internet and returning it for some esoteric reason.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow