Senior MemberPosts: 4,683
Like?
Re: fear and ignorance
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 7 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

photoreddi wrote:
I no longer care very much that the V3 uses microSD cards but I still wish that Nikon had stuck with SDHC/SDXC.

for years I have been paying 1-2 dollars more for MicroSD cards that come with SD card adapters; by choice. A MicroSD can become an SD, but you can't do the reverse if buying the full-sized SD cards. I have used retired old MicroSD camera memory in:
-phones
-voice recorder
-those small USB card readers that just take MicroSD

More flexibility means more fun.

Unfortunately there have been numerous reports of cameras producing corrupted image files when microsSD cards have been used with SD card adapters,

Oooh, fear the SD adapter!

There have also been (countless) reports of card corruption of those not using adapters. And how do we know adapters increase the risk of corruption? I have had zero issues in several cameras using SD adapters over a span of several years. Does that mean everyone will? Of course not. Do reports of corruption necessarily prove a correlation between adapters and MicroSD? Nope. I I've seen no proof of it that's for sure.

So not only are you wrong on the speed issue,

No, I wasn't wrong. I only said that after searching B&H's website (and a few others), they DID NOT sell any microSD cards that came close to the speed of the SDHC versions. That was still true as of yesterday. When I was told that a microSD version existed that had the same speed characteristics as the SDHC version I searched for it, found it, and immediately mentioned that fact right here in this thread.

I'd suggest no correlation with adaptor use and corruption, based on my own experiences using several different cameras over the years (all with adapters). There will always be "some reports" but they don't necessarily prove a correlation.

Of course nothing can be proved, but I've seen more than a dozen forum posts reporting memory card file corruption over the last several years and most of them turned out to have happened to people using microSD card adapters in their cameras. Usually several people advise the OP to switch from microSD + adapter to just an SD card and in all the cases I've seen, that fixed the file corruption issue. It's not surprising that the card adapter would be the usual culprit because it lengthens the data path, adding additional metal contacts that can increase signal noise and reflections.

Fear and ignorance
You were wrong on the speed issue and I'd suggest you are wrong on this point too

I think that the ignorance is on your side, and you're aggressive, taunting reply makes you most resemble an immature troll that's afraid to have a reasonable, rational discussion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow