ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hollywoodhawk
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
The 'filmlike quality' of m4/3
2 months ago

This is a bit of a rant, a bit of a question-
I've found that I love the look of Olympus's images far more than any other system I've used or seen (although I love Nikon's FF IQ). While there are obviously advantages to larger sensors and more megapixels, many reviewers and users ignore the processor and engine that interprets the picture data to create your image when talking about why they like a system. This was something I brought up in the Sony E-mount forum to the great chagrin of many users and my comments were not taken kindly to issues with Sony's processing.

What I've found in the short time I've been using my E-M10 is a very film like quality that I enjoy more despite the higher noise and other 'shortfalls' of the m4/3 system. In fact I feel like my old FD lenses have more character and look 'better' on the m4/3 system then they did on APS-C.
Does anyone else feel this way about their m4/3 images or am I just lovestruck? If it's just the pitter-patter of my heart, don't be to hard on me.

I've uploaded two RAW to JPEG straight conversions and one film scan for you, all shot with my 50 1.4 on three different cameras wide open: a Canon T70, Sony NEX 7, and OM-D E-M10. Which is which and which is your favorite?

hollywoodhawk's gear list:hollywoodhawk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow