What explains the vast differences in perceived sharpness when comparing GX7 and E-M5?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thornhale
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
What explains the vast differences in perceived sharpness when comparing GX7 and E-M5?
6 months ago

I was trying to get a sense of how well different lenses perform when I noticed by chance that there is a huge difference between p-sharpness scores and others when comparing even just the Panasonic kit lens between the E-M5 and Panasonic GX7.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-LUMIX-G-X-VARIO-PZ-14-42mm-F35-56-ASPH-POWER-OIS-on-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Panasonic-LUMIX-G-VARIO-14-42mm-F35-56-II-ASPH-MEGA-OIS-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-versus-Panasonic-LUMIX-G-VARIO-14-42mm-F35-56-II-ASPH-MEGA-OIS-on-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7___742_901_1105_793_1105_901

For the Panasonic kit lense, we are looking at 4 Mpixels (on Gx7) and 7 Mpixels (on E-M5). Similar observations can be made when looking at the Olympus 17mm 1.8, or Panasonic 20mm 1.7.

These numbers create the impression that the E-M5 or perhaps E-M10 are vastly superior to the GX7, but am I missing something here?

I'll just throw this question in the room: What explains these not small but vast differences?

thornhale's gear list:thornhale's gear list
Olympus SZ-30MR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow