Df: Same focus sensor as D610 but different focus algorithm?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dee Three
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Df: Same focus sensor as D610 but different focus algorithm?
2 months ago

I have a D610 but I'm unhappy with it's AF performance in low light at wedding receptions, bar mitzvahs, etc. It just doesn't seem to be able to lock in consistently. It has no problems with well lit static objects, but once the light value drops and the subject is moving, it's very unreliable. BTW, I use the center point 100% of the time. I was planning to jump to a D800 but the Df intrigues me and people say it does much better than the 610 so I'd be interested in that as an option.

The Df has the same focus sensor as the D610, yet many people say the Df definitely focuses better (in low light) than the D610. Could the focus algorithm be tuned differently to extract better low light performance on the Df?

The D3 and D700 also share a common focus sensor but someone on this board was able to determine that they had different focussing algorithms, thus the D3 was slightly better at focus acquisition and lock in low light. Could it be the same for these two camera's (Df and D610)?

Nikon D3 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow