Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,077Gear list
Like?
Re: PASM
In reply to MayaTlab0, 7 months ago

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Everyone's fingers are different.

Actually I think human hands are surprisingly more alike each others than various weird camera designs would lead you to believe. When looking at the big picture and compiling several people's opinion, sometimes it's clear a specific design seems on average constantly praised, while others are constantly criticised. Example : the Pentax K-x line grip is widely seen as being a pretty good design by a good deal of people, especially in comparison to other grips from the same class' cameras. Another example : very few people have complained about the Olympus EP5's dials. And again another one : the complaints on Fuji forums about the X-T1's pad buttons are endless. Why all this ? Well I suppose there must be good reasons, and I think camera manufacturers don't make enough systemic analysis of what works and what doesn't in terms of ergonomics / user interface and keep either making the same mistakes or inventing new ones altogether. Basically I blame a lack of rational, systemic thinking in terms of design.

BTW perhaps I'm mistaken but wasn't the Df's PASM dial designed after one of Nikon's historical model ? Well I suppose the only reason they designed it this way is just so that it looks cool or refers to their company's past... without much brain power spent on other considerations.

That's all well in good, but I own the Df and so do several of my friends. While we have our complaints, most are not mirrored in this forum. The reason? We own and shoot with the Df, while the majority of critics here have not. Some ergonomics work out and some don't. Picking up a Canon 5DIII is a good example as it feels all wrong at first and then it settles in.

The strong points of the Df far outweigh the weak ones. The D4 sensor, subdued shutter, lighter weight won me over and the output is wonderful.

Certainly I'll never agree with all of the design elements of any camera (my D800 is the biggest offender) but the Df does more of what I like. My wife will likely end up taking my Df to replace her D7000 when the Dfs is released (she much prefers the handling of the Df).

It's utterly subjective. Different horses, different courses. I find the current Nikon lineup fairly amazing. I feel like the D800/Df pair is an incredibly powerful system and if you need pro action, the D4s awaits. I'd like to see Nikon focus on upgrading the 135 F2 lens and worry about bodies less!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow