Anyone else try an a6000 but stayed with their NEX-6/7?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,492Gear list
Like?
No, NEX-6 is coming off the bench (nt)
In reply to JYPfoto, 5 months ago

JYPfoto wrote:

I know it's really early to ask this since some people just got theirs or didn't yet, but anyone either get theirs or try the a6000 in the store and stayed with their 6/7?

I shot the NEX6 for roughly 6 months and the 7 for about 3 months back in late 2012/early 2013. I have very fond memories of them both. Ergonomically speaking, I think the 7 was one of the best cameras I held, both in terms of the dials, but also the grip. It's been quite some time though since I had them in hand and quite a number of cameras ago.

Fast forward to today, got home with my shiny new a6000 and 16-70 kit. The sun was set and didn't get to shoot outdoors or set anything up in the menu. But for some reason the a6000 just feels... Different. I don't know if it's the size, the dials, or what. But I don't have the same feel with it as I did the 7 or even the 6. I don't know if it feels cheaper or if Im remembering the 7 totally different from is the actual truth. Maybe it's that the 7 was such a revolutionary camera for it's time that I think of it being better than it actually was. It's still only the first day but my initial reaction was so underwhelming that I priced out some used 7's. I know that AF wise there's no contest and I know that the a6000 is probably cleaner at even mid ISO's but if this initial reaction continues I may just get another 7 and see if a true 7 successor with similar ergonomics to the original comes out at Photokina or later.

Anyone else feel the same?

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow