Advice for GPS to use during visit to UK (Yorkshire Dales)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Willgo
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Re: Advice for GPS to use during visit to UK (Yorkshire Dales)
In reply to Isabel Cutler, 5 months ago

Isabel, here are two ideas

On an android phone you can save google maps before you leave for offline use. Google provide instructions at http://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567 . I found that the first method they suggested didn't work on my phone but the second method - "Instead of searching for a place" did.
Alternatively, Orux maps is free and can save offline maps from a variety of sources. This used to include Google and crucially Ordnance Survey which was a godsend but unfortunately it doesn't include them now, presumably for licensing reasons. However, Openstreetmaps is available on Orux and I suspect it would do the trick. Oruxmaps does GPS tracking - I have used it succesfully all over Britain with saved offline maps. The one downside is that it is not the most intuitive interface but once you are used to it, it is fine.
I think Google Maps can be made to work offline with the latest version of Orux but it is a bit fiddly. I've stayed with the older version (where both it and Ordnace Survey work out of the box) and have no intention of upgrading.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow