Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,347Gear list
Like?
Re: Sold my V3 (but there's more to it)
In reply to MJW1, 7 months ago

MJW1 wrote:

Hey Ricardo

I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you put into sharing your views on the V3, across multiple threads. At a time when so many people on the forum were waiting with bated breath for information, you provided it (along with other members, but perhaps none so generously as you).

You went to considerable trouble to explain your reasons for selling the V3 and your views on its competitors and why they aren't suited to your photographic needs. This kind of information is useful as we should all realise that no camera is perfect (pretty much all current cameras - at least ILCs - are capable of excellent images and being near perfect for the right user - but ALL come with compromises). Understanding why a particular camera does not meet one person's needs may give us insight into our own needs and how they can best be met.

You took a bunch of photos to demonstrate the V3's output. You clearly noted that some of them were not of a standard you would normally post as 'photographic', but you were posting them for the benefit of others. Some were genuinely 'photographic' (the one of the glowing guy at the bus shelter or whatever it is - that is a brilliant image with real other world/other time feel to it; others are also excellent). These, and the other images you posted from your portfolio, show you are an accomplished photographer.

While some members have responded decently and appropriately, others have harshly and unfairly criticised you and forced you to defend your views, right down to the minutiae of your syntax and word choices. You have been subjected to baseless angst - for trying to be helpful.

Some people really should take a good hard look at themselves.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your very kind words - you are welcome. As for the other people I have been at preview long enough to see the patterns, and most of the time it usually ends up saying more about them than anything they were trying to say about me

I am still undecided and trying to make up my mind looking at the files and what I got- the fact I got shots so fast with the V3 is a good sign ( by that I don't mean fast AF but that I was able to get 'hold of the camera' to 'work for me' to get some shots in a short time after purchase ).

One thing seems decided- I am keeping the Ricoh GR (going V3 forces a re-think of my inventory and ideally I would love one camera), at least until I could feel the V3 replacing it but seems more like it may still be the "wide angle lens" in what I have because the GR is just too darn perfect. I have never seen a better designed camera for street life and it's just too bad I want to shoot tele photo also, as I do that a lot- otherwise I would just call it done there.

Also debating if K-5 or Fuji goes- one of them has to go. More so if I get the V3 again.

I think maybe the way I should look at this is that Nikon wouldn't be spending so much resources on new lenses like the new telephoto if they were going to pull the plug on the system. As it is, I hope they do a 120 to 150mm moderately small, moderately fast and high quality prime and would be nice if they could re-issue the 28mm at a higher quality, slightly faster tier (F2.0 or F2.5).

Oh and tell Aptina to go BSI for next body's sensor.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow