Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,912Gear list
Like?
For God's sake... it's just a freaking camera
In reply to ne beginner, 6 months ago

Imagine if no one would buy a pair of shoes if someone else had tried them on. Or if no one would buy a suit or a dress if someone else had touched them. Or a piece of jewelry that some other customer had tried on. Or if we all refused to buy a car, unless it had zero miles on the odometer. No road tests allowed!

And what would happen if no one would marry someone unless they were pure and "untouched?"

These are just cameras. They aren't medical devices that get implanted in your heart. They don't need to be sterilized and sealed to keep germs out.

Sometimes I wonder if the "I won't buy a camera that was touched by human hands" people actually use the cameras that they do keep. Or maybe they just display them in a glass case, like a museum piece?

The buy and try people are taking advantage of everyone else by driving prices up. Retailers are forced to match liberal return policies of the competitors, so everyone's costs go up. The obvious solution is restocking fees, so only the abusers would have to bear this cost.

Naturally, if something is defective right out of the box, then a return could be made, and the retailer could get credit from the manufacturer. If it breaks down later, then you still have a warranty. But the policy of letting people buy several cameras, try them out, then return them is costing all of us money.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow