Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DGards
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Camera upgrade for arrival of first baby
3 months ago

I have pursuaded my wife that now is the perfect time for a camera upgrade on our well used Sony wx100. It's served us very well over the years however I would like a noticeable improvement in image quality, specifically in low light/indoor conditions without resorting to using flash. I'm thinking parties, christening etc.

The obvious choice is looking like the RX100 and I have been on the verge of buying it a few times. What's put me off slightly is that I am no photographer. I would shoot in jpeg only, and while I would certainly enjoy learning how to use the camera to it's potential I fear in alot of instances it will just be left in auto mode.

Today I was in Currys and noticed the Fuji XF1 was only £130 (currently £250 less than the RX100). Having done some research I am led to believe the Fuji has particularly good jpeg output which has got me interested. I used to own the Fuji f50 which delivered better jpeg pictures than any modern camera I have owned. One XF1 reviewer stated the jpeg output was reminiscent of the old f30 and f40 cameras which I believe were as good if not better than my old f50.

Anyway with my useage needs in mind (auto mode, jpegs) - would the rx100 justify being 3 times the price of the XF1. I don't want to buy the XF1 and think I should have splashed out for the RX100, then again I would hate to get some average pics with the RX100 and wonder if I'd wasted my money.

DGards's gear list:DGards's gear list
Sony RX100
Fujifilm FinePix F50fd Fujifilm XF1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow