Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nati30
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
One Camera with super-zoom lens to rule it all
7 months ago

Owning a DLSR for a few years and finding myself shooting more with my iphone, I'd like to get a small-enough camera with a large-enough zoom range that can serve me equally well, and that I'll enjoy taking with me, on day trips, vacations and occasionally when going with the kids to the playground.

After some research I ordered Sony's a6000, mainly due to the hype about its AF speed, but being back-ordered for a long time I cancelled the order and started thinking over my choices.

I expanded to search to P&S as well, and even considered the new Olympus Stylus SH-1. However, I fear that too small a sensor will become a limiting factor, and I have no knowledge about the responsiveness of the AF system.

So, I came to the conclusion that if I want to marry a small body with a decent-sized sensor to a super-zoom lens, while keeping dimensions and weight to a minimum, it would be better to turn to 4/3 over APS-C, since the crop factor allows the lens to be smaller (given all else is equal, right?), and settle for a wide-angle to telephoto zoom lens over a true super-zoom.

I've narrowed it down to Panasonic's Lumix DMC-GF6 with LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6, both of which received good to excellent reviews, and together seem to cost less than other options (e.g., Nikon D5300 kit with the 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G lens, which I trust is a great choice with phase detection AF, that will unfortunately get to stay behind much too often).

My concern is whether this Panasonic setup will be able to capture kids in motion (e.g., in an amusement park).

What do you think?

Nikon D5300 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow