AF-C problems solved by AF Fine Tune or am I imagining things?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,737Gear list
Like?
Re: You have not included any images
In reply to Robert Palmqvist, 7 months ago

Robert Palmqvist wrote:

This lens hunted like crazy while I kept the AF-On button pressed. I expected it to settle or give up. However focus never settled and the VF rangefinder indicators never ceased to flicker. This didn't happen all the time but frequent enough to drive me crazy.

When the AF light flickers it means the camera AF has not detected enough good quality detail for the AF to detect the subject - resulting in no viewfinder focus confirmation.

As the lens is old and second hand I would start by carefully cleaning the lens and camera bayonet electric contacts. Doing the resolves a high percentage of AF issues.

I presume you know AF cannot focus accurate on everything, and some lenses have AF somewhat slow for focus tracking fast moving subjects. Sample images often help identify what the problem might be.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow