Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,258Gear list
Like?
100-300mm really slows me down ...
4 months ago

... when I go someplace in the truck. It makes me drive a lot slower than normal, park on the wrong (English, left) side of the road and makes me take at least 3X the normal time for a trip to meet friends for lunch .... especially nowadays when the Spring Ephemerals are showing and various forms of wildlife are cruising.

For example, on the lunch trip today, I made 167 exposures, all from the truck, most of which are only of interest to myself. A few might be of interest to others. Here are some in in chronological order....

Some sort of magic has alerted these two black diptera? that lunch is now available on the maturing pussy willows.

First Carolina Spring Beauty seen this season!!!

Trout lilies, aka Adder's Tongues, Dog Tooth Violets, started blooming three days ago.

Pale corydalis will bloom in a few days

Turkey vulture ventured over the road and got "shot".

Pair of Painted Turtles (?) plopped into the pond when I drove by so I stopped, backed up, waited for two minutes and they came back to the log to pose for me. Plopped into the pond again when I drove off. (Three were back on the log a few hours later on the return trip. Same drill but only one returned to the log.)

Equisetum - the "living fossil" plant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum

Lunch was very pleasant.

This gal (and her buddy sleeping in the back seat) guarded the truck for me:

My "Brandy" checks out my friends' itty bitty lil doggie.

Took a side trip where I found this guy spying on me from inside the tree line.  He scampered off quite quickly, probably a wise thing this year.

ABB, American Black Bear ... wary this spring because Ontario has reinstated the Spring Bear Hunt. They just came out of hibernation a week/10 days ago and are still eating greens to clear their gut.

And just over an hour later on the way home,  this wet fellow scampered from a swamp to cover to check out the truck with the long lens sticking out of it.

"Why is that guy stopped on the wrong side of the road?" wonders this Bruin (for about 5 seconds) before scampering off into the bush.

I also had the 14-140mm mounted on the GX7 and stopped to take a couple of nice scenes:

The spring (pastel) colours are starting to emerge. The tamaracks on the left will start putting out a new set of needles and red/purple cones in a week or so.

It is hard to drive past these nice little spots on a sunny late afternoon.

Those darn cameras are just like a sea anchor or a drag chute.

They remind me that it is the Journey that counts, not so much the Destination.

Lots of fun!

Advice?

Tom (Drive-by Shooter)

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow