Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not the 1% of shutter life ... it's who was doing the clicking, and where ...
In reply to Full Frame, 5 months ago

Full Frame wrote:

Think about it, what incentive do thy have to do anything. It is not in their interest. We have to pull teeth just to get a software upgrade. Lets see what happens with the trap focus for D800.

That's the bottom line, isn't it?

I can see a few wins.

First, lets look at the DF.  Nikon hates to acknowledge anything, to the point if letting a minor issue get out of hand, take on a life of its own, all for want of a press release that would take them 30 minutes to write and post.  With sealed boxes, everyone who finds actuation would know their camera was not used and returned, but rather tested by Nikon.  No issue, no internet buzz, fewer returns and, best of all, no need for a communication to explain! How many unnecessary DF returns could that avoid?

Here's another: reputation.  That's actually valued as brand equity.  And measured.  How many consumers are complaining about the same defective cameras and lenses, here and elsewhere, that have been recycled over and over again by retailers that resell returns?  Some people complained that they received and returned several D800's, one after another, remember that? From the same retailers? Some people speculated that these were the same set of defective cameras, recycled.  If so, suppose the D800 left bank issues was exaggerated by several factors because of that?

There are other benefits that may apply. As a manufacturer of consumer products, there are many good business reasons to not leave my retail and whole sale customer over inventoried. Sometimes we can shift that inventory.  But we won't take back product that has been opened. If it is sealed, I can redistribute it, rework it, etc.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow