Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?
Re: No, the only "rule" would be manufacturers use a factory seal ...
In reply to ne beginner, 7 months ago

As I said earlier any product with a seal is immediately devalued when that seal is broken. It no longer becomes a matter choosing who would purchase it or not. If that brick an mortar has an online presence or ebay account you have devalued their inventory.

B&M's are already the show rooms for Amazon as it is... they will really be laughing themselves to the bank after you effectively devalue their meager competitions inventory! And the irony is that a percentage of the viewer would be ordering from Amazon anyway.

Like I said earlier... not wholly against the concept. But I think of the Df and how many people needed to get it in their hands to say... "Whoa! This is the most ergonomically uncomfortable camera... I don't like it." More than a few did that at counters... Now with the seal we would have to listen to some douche bag say "Go rent it!" When that is clearly uncalled for.

I also wonder to what degree this is a solution in search of a problem? The times that I have heard of a person getting a previously owned camera has been few, and the retailer was very apologetic sending out a replacement.

Maybe at some point we will start a grass roots movement to put a little stamp on the inside flap of a returned box when the next camera/ lens comes out? Not as fun as my "nullifier" (patent pending), but could see the extent your concerns are justified and who the retailers are that can't be trusted.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow