Liberal Return Policies vs. "has my camera been used?": A way to Solve This

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Re: More than just the sales tax ...
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 3 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

The beauty is that we have minimum price requirements by the manufacturers. You take away the $200 to $500 price difference that a brick and mortar is forced to bear- you get them back in the ball game. That is huge money! Any store- no matter the product - will tell you that is why internet retailers inflict the pain.

You have a new Nikon DSLR selling for the sale amount of money across the board- you have more brick and mortars and more trust.

Do you mean MAP pricing?  Minimum advertised price?  Yes, that would make it harder for a large chain to sell a camera or lens for less than the MAP.  But that still does not level the playing field.

Suppose I am a manufacturer, and I sell a camera body for $1,000 to anyone that buys it directly from me. To do that, they must buy a minimum quantity per order.  So a chain and a wholesaler can meet that minimum, but you as an independent must buy from a wholesaler. The wholesaler sell it to you for $1,250.  I then set a MAP of $1,500.  The chain can sell it for $1,500 and make 33% margin. Do to their efficiencies, they need 12% to cover their overhead. Let's say they need 12% for promotion and advertising. That leaves 9% profit.  You the independent need 15% just for overhead. That leaves you with 2%. But you need 5% for advertising just to maintain minimum awareness in the market that you exist.  So you are loosing money if you match the big guys.

The very notion that a D4s would effectively "lose value" because someone simply broke the seal on a box is ridiculous to me. This high precision, tough, flagship camera should be devalued even if it had never been touched after leaving the factory. Remember- the broken seal on program was different, you could NOT return it.

I agree, it is a precision piece of equipment. It is tough, built for the way a pro in the field would use it.  But not all Nikon DSLR's are D4's, and not all lenses are 24-70 f2.8's.

You are assuming that breaking the seal means a careful and respectful guy like you just wants to hold it in the shop, snap off a few shots maybe. If that were the case, I'm cool with it.

But when a camera or lens is sold, it leaves the store for a period of time. For 14 to as many as 30 days.  Suppose the guy bought the camera to use at a boat race because he didn't want to risk getting his own camera exposed to salt air.  He's gonna return it anyway, so he leaves the lens off for 10, 15 minutes at a time, body up ... on the beach blanket, while the kids toss a frisbee around.

Or maybe the guy is just like you, but when carefully taking that 70-100 f2.8 lens off his body, he does the unthinkable and drops it.  Luckily there was a thin carpet over the hard wood, so there's no visible damage. And not tinkle when you shake it. It will still AF, but everything on the left is OOF from 2.8 to 5.6. He feels guilty, but if he fesses up, he's out $2,500 and has to send the lens in for major out of warranty service.

I don't want either of those items. Do you?

Again, I think my solutions regarding the shopping habits of an individual concerned with this is the fairest. It seems unfair to burden small business with trust issue you have with your online retailer. I think it is far better for the consumer to take the (very easy and uncomplicated) responsibility rather than impose the proposed "regulatory scheme."

What burden? What regulatory scheme?  I'm talking about a seal on the box that guarantees the camera has not been sold, mishandled, returned, then sold unknowingly to me ... who paid full price for it.

And, hey, if we are going to impose some Amazon.com friendly restraints on the little guy, lets make it fun! How about rather than a seal we put a dye pack that can only be de-activated if the 2nd purchaser is provided a "nullifier" which by virtue of it's being provided signals it is a resale. Man I would purchase all second hand gifts and leave out the "nullifier"... "Happy Birthday!" "Oh, you shouldn't have! BOOM!" Or when you return a camera you spray paint it pink so the next person knows it was a return.

How does a seal hurt the little guy? Or Amazon? Unless the little guy ... or big guy ... wants to sell and resell the same item over and over again?  And if you want to do that, you can still do it ... the only difference is that the consumer who paid good money for it knows the score.

I mean- if you are going to kill what little business my local retailer has left, make it creative.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow