Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charlie875578
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Companion Lens for 70-200 F4 IS USM
3 months ago

So I just made the jump back to Canon after never being fully comfortable with Nikon. I have a 50D right now and hope to get a 5D Mark II as soon as I find the right price on a used one. I have a 70-200 f4 IS USM lens which I really like but obviously I need to add to this (I've been back with Canon for 3 days now). Most of my shooting is local nature, theme parks (Disney), occasional local event, pets, beach and landscape, and as far as portraits it is important to me that they look very good although I don't do them much (relatives and niece nephew don't live nearby). With my Nikon D300 I had a 24-70 2.8 and 50 1.4, had a 70-200 on order which FedEx lost (Final straw with Nikon, seemed like nothing was going right). Anyways, I'm all over the place with which lens to get next since I can only afford (likely) one for now and I'll build up the glass over time. The 70-200 on a crop is too narrow for a walking around although on a FF it may be okay (although not the top choice) in certain situations. I keep looking at the 24-70 2.8 version 1 and the 24-105. I don't like that the 105 overlaps the 70-200 and that they're both f4. I feel this could be limiting, esp in low light. Every time I feel like I'm ready to buy the 24-70 2.8 I read a review saying the first version isn't that good. I like the 17-40 but it too is f4 and I wonder if the 24-105 or 24-70 would be just as good for my landscape purposes (When using the 24-70 nikon I never wished for anything wider). 85mm f2 looks like a good lens but it too overlaps. I thought that a 24-105 (which can be had for $600) plus the 50mm 1.8 II would be decent combo so I have something with more light gathering ability but there seems to be a decent amount of people who laugh at the idea of having the $100 lens on a 5D. Sorry for rambling, so I'll just ask, what would you look at to fill in the rest of the focal range (Yes I know it's a personal preference, but any thoughts would be welcomed).

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charliemcmahon/

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow