ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MickLaF
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Filters for Nikon 16-35 VR F4
4 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking to get some filters for land/sea/cityscape photography, and I'm having a tough time deciding what to get.

From what I've researched, rectangle filters are the way to go. They obviously work better for GND filters (I've also read not to worry about that with the D800 because the dynamic range is good and I can do it in post... doesn't sound as exciting, and doesn't work for certain types of shots).

If I go the square route, I was interested in the Cokin Z-Pro filter system because it looks to be a little more convenient than the Lee system. You can pop a circular polarizer right on it without an adapter. It doesn't have that post coming out the side of it, so I imagine that makes it easier slipping it in and out of the bag while attached to a lens. However... the z-pro vignettes below ~21mm. Now, I've seen a simple modification that allows it to work on 16-35's supposedly, but it takes up the circular polarizer slot, which takes away that advantage over the Lee. I thought I could pop a B+W screw in polarizer in addition to the z-pro setup, but I imaging it would be annoying trying to rotate the polarizer, and taking off the filter holder after the modification isn't that easy.

So then you have the Lee filter system with the wide angle lens attachment. This supposedly does not vignette. To get it to hold a circular polarizer, though, you have to drop another $60 for an attachment that will cause bad vignetting (from what I read). So it looks like I'd have to do the B+W circular polarizer for that system too... right? Is it a pain to rotate the circular polarizer then? I'll also end up with that clunky post coming out of the side with the filter holder. And does leaving all three filter holders on create vignetting at 16mm?

Should I just go with screw in filters? It's not that great for GND. It also isn't great for stacking filters.

So I need help deciding what I should do. Anyone have recommendations, experience or ideas on a good setup with this particular lens? It's all new to me, so I definitely could use some guidance.

As for filters to get, I was thinking about a 2-stop or 3-stop GND (both hard and soft). I've read with the rectangle filters you can use a hard GND as a regular ND as well... so that's cool. A circular polarizer. And then a big stopper type ND filter. What do you think?

Thanks!

MickLaF's gear list:MickLaF's gear list
Pentax K-3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow