Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RichLI
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Tanzania Safari Images
4 months ago

Here are some shots from our safari to Tanzania last July; Lake Manyara, Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengetti and Zanzibar for a little beach time.

While we missed much of the migration, still an enormous amount to see.
I insisted on our own vehicle for just the two of us - plus driver - as I didn't want to have problems moving around vehicle - recommend this as key.

Turned out for me that the very sternly worded weight limits for puddle jumpers weren’t a concern – and of course I had made certain I was under the limit.

Contrary to some others, our driver REALLY didn't want to go off the roads in any of the parks as he can lose his license - and possibly dangerous...

Used a monopod much of the time (suggest forgo tripod), used a blow-up neck cushion for bean-bag (worked well), 7k images in 11 days with my 600, 80-400 (released just in time for trip), 24-85, and 1.4 Nikon tc. My wife used my (all now recently sold) D300 with an 18-200, 70-300 and occasionally I'd slip on the 80-400 w tc for an effective 840mm.

With the generally wide distance to much of the wildlife a minimum of 400 long reach really is necessary, from my perspective. I was glad I had the 1.4tc. If going there again I would likely bring a second voltage converter as these are very tempermental and DO break at the worst time.

Going to Israel in June and am trying to decide which two of 24-85, 105macro (bought with recent proceeds) and 80-400 I'll take as will be with group and concerned about a lot of walking with heavy pack. No additional purchases being contemplated...

Yes - some of the images below I've manipulated....

So I was having problems with auto iso during the trip so many images were shot with way too high an iso - but D600 IQ is so good it didn't have a big impact. Live and learn.

-- hide signature --

Rich
craft>learning>equipment

RichLI's gear list:RichLI's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Canon Pixma Pro-100 +1 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow