Like?
Re: Missed Opportunities
In reply to Christof21, 4 months ago

Christof21 wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

RicksAstro wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

fratiodan wrote:

I would have to agree. I see no point in an nd filter for these shots. Maybe if they were overexposed, then sure. But...they aren't...

So are they shooting auto exposure? Do they choose aperture or shutter priority. If you chose to shoot 1/4000 sec of a stationary subject this must be your/their first camera.

The exposure does not make any sense and yes, you need a ND filter to help and yes the exposure is overexposed.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting stationary objects at 1/4000 if you have proper exposure. It doesn't change the look of the image at all for stationary objects so there's no disadvantage if you need less light so you can have more aperture options.

There's absolutely nothing wrong shooting wide open aperture if you want the subject to stand out from the background, particularly with the busy backgrounds here.

Great, but at least have the subject sharp and in focus if you are going to defend this position.

The Dynamic Range function usually indicates in EXIF a higher ISO than 200, so I don't believe it was used.

Wrong, EXIF does not tell DR setting and ISO can be in Auto or actually set. I am not aware ISO in EXIF to actually say AUTO.

He is right. Even if the DR was set to a setting different than DR100, it was not used anyway. There was no DR expansion because the ISO of the shots are 200. ISO must be at least 400. Your advice was to set DR100 but it would not have changed anything.

Why do you suggest DR100% ?? DR is used to avoid clipping highlights, I would suggest to use this mode (auto, 200 or 400)

Exactly...DR modes are great if you are trying to preserve highlights in JPGs and aren't worried much about shadow noise (like in these images). And the EXIF would definitely indicate something above 200 if a DR setting over 100 was used (400 for DR200, 800 for DR 400).

But the DR modes wouldn't do much good if you are in Aperture priority and already at the highest shutter speed and lowest ISO...no room left to underexpose.   So then you're only choice is to stop down or use an ND filter.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow