Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thomas Niemann
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,042
Like?
A poor man's 7-14
3 months ago

It's well acknowledged that the Panasonic 7-14mm is sharper than the Olympus 9-18mm lens. That's not to say that the 9-18 is fuzzy. I have three 20x30 inch prints, taken with this lens, hanging on my wall that easily withstand close scrutiny.

Yes, the corners could stand a bit of sharpening. But people are more interested in the content of the images rather than inspecting corner sharpness. Still, it's something I would like to improve.

I was mulling over the idea of adding a layer in Photoshop, sharpening it, and incorporating a layer mask so only the corners would be sharpened. But there's another method.

Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw have a Radial filter that is commonly used to control vignetting using the Exposure adjustment. There are also adjustments for Sharpness and Noise. Why not make a Preset to adjust corner sharpness?

In Lightroom choose the Radial filter, control-doubleclick to expand the filter to the size of the image, choose 70 for Sharpness, 30 for Noise, 50 for Feather, disable the Invert mask, and save the settings as a Preset for Radial Filters. You can do the same in Photoshop except for creating a Preset. Unfortunately there's no preset for Radial Filters.

Of course, the 7-14mm is still sharper than the 9-18. At least I improved the 9-18 a bit.

A poor man's 7-14.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow