Why all the Df hate?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Malikknows
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Re: Why all the Df hate?
In reply to Bunza, 7 months ago

I think it has something to do with the manifestly "retro" styling. Some folks hate it because its design consciously drew on cameras of the past. Retro is a bad word for these modernists. They prefer camera bodies driven solely by technical and ergonomic requirements. Consciously designing cameras that evoke the past is an insult to the present and a burden on the future.

Others hate the idea that how a camera looks is a factor in how satisfied people will be with it. For those folks, a camera is simply a tool, and performance is all. Styling and design, if not strictly utilitarian, offends this sensibility.

On the other hand, I'm of the group that believes a camera to be an artifact, an object where good aesthetics is important to the ownership experience.  And I prefer objects that are connected to their past through design. I've got some history of my own, it shows, and I prefer stuff that also shows its history.

To each his own.

Malikknows's gear list:Malikknows's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow