I sadly decided to return the GX1 Mk II . . . Locked

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
accupix
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
I sadly decided to return the GX1 Mk II . . .
6 months ago

Having used the new Canon G1X Mark II for over a week under various conditions, I sadly decided to return it. I had high hopes for this camera as I had always shot with Canon SLR’s in the 80’s and 90’s (Nikons in the 60’s & 70’s.) The classic Sony R-1 was a head turner for me in that it convinced me that a DSLR was unnecessary. Most of my shooting in the last year was with my Sony RX100 (always with me.) So when my new Canon Mark II arrived, the RX100 became the bench-mark I would compare it to.

With all the hell-a-la-boo about software corrected distortion and corner sharpness going on- I decided to do my own ‘apples-to-apples’ tests. I shoot both the RX100 and the Mark II at asa 400, both at 28 mm, and both at f2.8, both with flash. The results are a toss-up. I shopped down both cameras to F 8.0 and the results are still a toss-up. Then I changed the asa to 3200, and yet again, a toss-up (you could pick a different winner in each different corner.)

Pixel peeping isn’t the only consideration, so still hopping to convince myself that this much larger and heavier camera that won’t be with me all the time was a worthy investment costing over $1,000 with its EVF, I did field tests shooting my favorite subjects- trains. The Sony leaves the Canon in the dust. With the Sony, I never have to worry about hitting the shutter at the right split-second- the little camera always bangs-off 10 fps giving me many choices to pick the best train position while the Canon left big gaps in my choice of train positions.

Controls- what a mis-mash these dual clicking and non-clicking lens rings are. For each mode, this ring will do that, and that ring will do this, but not that. For another mode, this ring will do both this and that, and another ring will do that same thing as well, but not do another thing. Maybe I am too along in years to try and remember which does what differently or not differently in each mode so this scored another negative.

The big positive about this ‘Canon System’ is the EVF attachment. If that was integrated into the body, that would have gone a long way in compensating for the other shortcomings. So that leaves me going back to holding my Hoodman with my left hand to the ground glass of the RX 100 in my right hand on bright sunny days.

I have bought a Nikon 330 for $ 225 as a back-up until I can choose between a Sony RX100 MK III (rumored to have a built-in EVF) or a Nikon P8000 as my RX100 has been dropped too many times. The RX100’s control ring binds, the screen is cracked, and the top plate is twisted, but everything works like they should- I feel I am just counting the days until something doesn’t or the camera just stops working totally.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow