Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm NOT knocked out with RX100M2
In reply to edform, 7 months ago

edform wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Here's another one I took a few days earlier of the Forth Bridges (the nineteenth century rail bridge nearest, with the 20th century suspension road bridge behind, and the 21st century cable-stayed bridge under construction in the distance), in typical Scottish drizzle and mist:

Forth bridges from three centuries

You probably know that the new bridge, which was opened in 1964 is in trouble with corrosion and will have to be replaced in some years time but the Victorian old bridge goes on and one. Those Victorians built to last.

Yes, the new cable-stayed bridge is being constructed because the cables in the 1960s suspension bridge (which is carrying far more traffic than planned) are failing. Funnily enough, I was given a presentation sample of the cables from when it was being constructed in 1962. The older bridge is supposed to remain open, but carrying lighter loads, once the new bridge opens.

Of course, the surviving Victorian structures are so sturdy partly in reaction to the more fragile earlier examples that fell down, like the first Tay bridge. Sir Thomas Bouch, designer of the ill-fated Tay bridge, had also designed a suspension Forth bridge which was under construction when his Tay bridge collapsed in 1879. Needless to say, his disgrace meant that a new design from different engineers was immediately commissioned. The magnificent and rigid cantilever 1890 Forth bridge was over-engineered by the new engineers to make sure it didn't happen again. It's like that with a lot of fine, long-lived buildings -- we sometimes forget that the survivors, by definition, are stronger and better built than the many others of their eras that have gone and been forgotten.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
hypeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow