ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
Switching systems...considerations
7 months ago

I currently have a Nikon D300s with the below 2 lenses:

1. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED (the new one)
  2. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

The 35mm is great, being a prime & especially made for DX cameras. On the other hand the 18-35 is not so great on cropped sensor bodies but quite good on FF (based on the review on DPreview).

Like most cropped sensor shooters out there (and don't deny it) I would like at some point upgrade to a full frame solution, the why is irrelevant.

Now, and here lies my dilemma, what would be the best solution for me to upgrade? And when I say best I mean cheapest without compromising in IQ of course.

For some time now I have been considering changing systems. Why, because to simply put it Canon is cheaper, especially on the used market. No matter where I look, I see 5D Mark IIs on the same price range of D700 and I don't believe the 2 are the same. For some reason Canon seems to devaluate a lot faster than Nikon. Furthermore L series lenses like the 17-40 f4 are also cheaper than equivalent Nikon ones and I don't believe the IQ is that far apart, I mean we are talking about pro-grade glass here.

In regards to my current position, I just received a very nice offer to sell the 18-35 and that would leave me with only the 35mm which is great etc. but somewhat limiting.

So, I could keep the 18-35 (which is good on FF) and hope to find a good used D610 in the future, the D300s and 35mm are both very good so I trust I would be able to sell them eventually at a good price. Or, I could sell the 18-35 now, sell the body + 35mm later on and buy a nice 5D Mark II or even III with a 17-40 f4.

Comments, thoughts much appreciated and if you find a minute pls vote on the poll as well.

Thanks!

P.S. I really don't like the latest Nikon shenanigans (call me D600 & 610 fiasco) as well.

POLL
Keep the 18-35, sell the D300s body and 35mm later on and find a nice D610
64.7% 11  votes
Sell the 18-35 NOW that the price is still high and later on switch to Canon with a nice 5D and 17-40 f4
35.3% 6  votes
  Show results
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow