I'm NOT knocked out with RX100M2

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?
hype
In reply to knox, 7 months ago

knox wrote:

I bought a RX100M2 last week and so far I am completely underwhelmed. As a photographer I shoot analog Hasselblads, Nikon F100, Nikon D3 etc etc . . and have been carrying around a Rollei 35SE or the F100 in a messenger bag. I decided to get something smaller to carrying around in a coat pocket on my motorcycle rather than the Rollei or F100 in the bag . . . After some research I bought the Sony. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it after using it for a few days. Yea I don't expect it to take shots as good as my main cameras but I just find the images rather bland and with the cliche sterile, 'pocket camera' digital 'look'. I bought it for a good deal at $548 otherwise I would have waited for the M3 to see what the upgrades are. I hate looking at an LCD to take photos and the add-on electronic viewfinder is too expensive to add to a camera when the images are just mediocre. I could deal with the regular viewfinder 'somewhat' if the images knocked me out. Maybe I expected too much. I admit I have not 'woodshedded' with it and got deep inside all the settings yet as I have been really busy . . . Is that where I will find the so called 'magic' everyone is talking about or did I just expect too much?

-- hide signature --

Knox

I sort of get your point. I had the same "running in" period  of the blues when I got the RX100 original model.

I got caught up with the hype at the time, and was a little jaded with the experience and results.

It just was not (quite) the DSLR beater I had expected.

Then I got over it and accepted the limitations, learned to love what it COULD achieve in such a small size, both in terms of IQ and creatively speaking, and subsequently bought the II as well and enjoyed it even more than the I.

For what they are, they are great. But they can't do all the stuff a good DSLR can do nor as well. As others have mentioned: If you can't get over this mental hurdle and the size and discretion benefits really are not that important , then the RX100 is just not for you.

And as others have mentioned, using lightroom or other on RAWs from these cams helps a lot.

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
hypeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow