Serious thinking of the Pentax 645 or shall wait? Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,135Gear list
Study art, not just photography
In reply to nvlass, 3 months ago

Image making in general is many millenia old, and I strongly feel the vast majority of people doing photography are consciously or unconsciously putting themselves in a photography only apartheid. It is very good to study the great photographers, but much, much better to get a grip on art history in general.

But most people not only don't want to put in the effort, but also seem to actually have an active aversion to the visual arts. I think I know why, but that's way OT.

BTW, I don't think you are off base looking at the Pentax 645Z, I am also---in fact I think I've crossed all my mental and other barriers and have pretty much committed to getting one, and I am not wealthy. For instance, I'll be shedding a lot of gear, probably leaving only my A7R and several lenses.

It's a slower way of shooting, and there's little question those are the best files you are going to get w/o spending a multiple of the cost. The cost of the Z is high, but it could also be pretty GAS-proof, as others have pointed out. Not much place to upgrade to realistically....thus you are left with yourself and your mind and eye.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
TrueNew
trueNew
easyNew
SeeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow