Help me find the ideal lense selection for a casual, learning split personality photographer

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thornhale
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Help me find the ideal lense selection for a casual, learning split personality photographer
5 months ago

After much debate, I have finally settled on a GX7 for the family photo taking engine. Just over the weekend, with the kit lense, we have already bounced against the limits of the kit lense. The major issue: the kit lense does not let in enough light into the camera when it's not super bright.

So I am starting to think of our family's use cases and want to device a selection of lenses that would cover those use cases - for now - minimizing the # of lenses that would need to be purchased to avoid what the other guy in the other thread was going through:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53088720

Use cases/Proposed Lense:

1.) Family photos in bright outdoor environments. Kit lense (LUMIX® G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm).

2.) Close-up shots of can-sized art usually under well-lit conditions (the jewelry is actually slightly smaller than a can). Kit lense with macro converter (LUMIX® G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm+ Macro Converter Lense)

3.) Portrait pictures/Indoor pictures with perhaps less than ideal lighting (imagine weddings etc.): Either Lumix® G Micro 4/3 LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm / F2.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. Lens or M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 Affordable Portrait Lens)

4.) I don't intend to use the telephotography often enough to buy feel like justify buying telelense especially right away...is a teleconverting lense sth like Tele Conversion Lens DMW-GTC1 for G Series Cameras ok?

What are your thoughts?

I said "split-personality" because both my wife and I will be using this camera. While she will be aiming for fast, easy jpeg pictures, I plan on experimenting  more and moving to more manual settings (perhaps starting with semi-automatic modes) and shoot in RAW format more.

thornhale's gear list:thornhale's gear list
Olympus SZ-30MR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Leica X Vario Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow