Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,894Gear list
Like?
Re: A77ii; Well I'm disappointed
In reply to 1DanC, 6 months ago

1DanC wrote:

Tone Row wrote:

But what were you expecting? The A700 was 12MP, the A77 24MP. Would it have taken 48MP to make the A77 II "generational" in your eyes? The A700 shot at 5 FPS, the A77 up to 12 FPS. Were you expecting 20 FPS? And so on and so on...

APS-C hit the wall of diminishing returns a generation ago which, coincidentally, was the generation the A77 belongs to. Expecting anything more than incremental upgrades in this form factor from any maker going forward is wishful thinking.

Sorry I posted a reply before I saw your post.

What was I expecting? If you compare the A700 to the A77 , the changes were significant. OVF/EVF, Video, SLT, 24 MP in an APSc, 12 fps, efcs, 150k shutter life, GPS, tilt and swivel screen etc etc.

My preference would have been that rather than the great anticipation and pressure for Sony to release a new Camera that it have held back another year and provided a generational release. There is nothing wrong with the A77 that mandated the release of an A77ii.

A better gap filler in my mind would have been another firmware release with some additional fixes, a better JPG engine (not everybody runs RAW), thereby establishing its commitment to its faithful and still delivering a mighty camera.

BTW I don't believe that APS-C has hit a wall. I believe that APS-c will deliver what FF delivers today. FF only exists because that was the size of an old 35 mm negative. FF is APS-c to a 6x4.5, 6x6 or 6x7 format camera. It's all relative, and the tech will get there if it hasn't already. There is lots of research going on out there.

http://www.disp.duke.edu/projects/AWARE/index.ptml

And please don't get the idea that I expected the A77 ii to be a gigapixel camera.

Dan C

You must not have been in this forum for long, that you're actually suggesting that Sony should have continued with the a77 with just firmware updates (which can only do so much).

Good to see you're happy with your a77. I would be too. But that doesn't make a77 II a "disappointment" in anyway. It looks like a wonderful product, at least on paper.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow