A77ii; Well I'm disappointed

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
1DanC
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Re: A77ii; Well I'm disappointed
In reply to Tone Row, 4 months ago

Tone Row wrote:

But what were you expecting? The A700 was 12MP, the A77 24MP. Would it have taken 48MP to make the A77 II "generational" in your eyes? The A700 shot at 5 FPS, the A77 up to 12 FPS. Were you expecting 20 FPS? And so on and so on...

APS-C hit the wall of diminishing returns a generation ago which, coincidentally, was the generation the A77 belongs to. Expecting anything more than incremental upgrades in this form factor from any maker going forward is wishful thinking.

Sorry I posted a reply before I saw your post.

What was I expecting? If you compare the A700 to the A77 , the changes were significant. OVF/EVF, Video, SLT, 24 MP in an APSc, 12 fps, efcs, 150k shutter life, GPS, tilt and swivel screen etc etc.

My preference would have been that rather than the great anticipation and pressure for Sony to release a new Camera that it have held back another year and provided a generational release. There is nothing wrong with the A77 that mandated the release of an A77ii.

A better gap filler in my mind would have been another firmware release with some additional fixes, a better JPG engine (not everybody runs RAW), thereby establishing its commitment to its faithful and still delivering a mighty camera.

BTW I don't believe that APS-C has hit a wall. I believe that APS-c will deliver what FF delivers today. FF only exists because that was the size of an old 35 mm negative. FF is APS-c to a 6x4.5, 6x6 or 6x7 format camera. It's all relative, and the tech will get there if it hasn't already.  There is lots of research going on out there.

http://www.disp.duke.edu/projects/AWARE/index.ptml

And please don't get the idea that I expected the A77 ii to be a gigapixel camera.

Dan C

1DanC's gear list:1DanC's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow