Re: True again
In reply to Mako2011, 4 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

But not everyone wants to print, no mention billboard size. How large of your real estate can hold those big prints?

I see your point. Also really makes the virtues of cell phone only photography more obvious. A lot to be said for..."good enough for what I do" practicality. Keeps cost down too...added bonus. Likely the reason higher quality photography (top end of the spectrum) is on the decline and market share is getting to be such a tough nut to crack.

Printing is really an old-fashion and dying technology that will be replaced by high-end display in a decade.

Also a good point for your type of IQ requirements. Keeps the bar down and saves in both processing time and money...unless you start chasing display resolution. A lot to be said for limiting output medium. A lot of pluses to that type of workflow/expectations. Certainly makes advances in sensor tech less and less relevant for some. Who needs more anyways.

Just do a survey in this forum, how many actually are working in billboard business?

Most photos come from a cell and make it no farther than Facebook. In that regard your suggestion that resolution and DR aren't all that important is certainly valid for a large group. No denying that. I can absolutely see why IQ advances, of a certain nature, would be of little real use.

That's not my point. My point is that you still can enjoy high resolution and high DR photos on monitors. You don't must print photos. That's my point. Also it subjects to viewing distance. To view on larger monitor or larger print, you'd need to backward a bit to view from a bit far away.

I don't deny there are some of them there but not many, not me, not you that I am sure about.

Not you most certainly as you have stated so. Nothing wrong with that at all. I though go a bit further than that but certainly not weekly. I do print far more than most here, so I see why my experiences and requirements will obviously differ from yours. Yours are still valid points in relative terms. No need for you to buy a saddle when you don't ride.

Again you don't have to print to enjoy high resolution photos. I still enjoy my 36mp A7R photos at 36mp size on my 27" monitor but need to shift around. But again due to only 2560x1440 monitor resolution, it's better to view at 2560-wide size (actually my default to 2500-pixel wide) that looks better than full-size, sharper and fit monitor width perfectly. How easy to view your thousand photos on prints? Do you have and store thousand prints and have to retrieve them from archives? I can find my photos in 60K+ photos collection easily on computer. I enjoy photos more on monitors than on prints. How many photos people see on prints compared to on monitors everyday? No comparison. I still can enjoy 645Z samples on my monitor like everyone else did so far. What's problem?

But in other side, you can enjoy high resolution photos on today's monitor but inconvenience to shift photos around.

Always pros and cons

As I said I will see digital displays eventually will eliminate old-fashion physical prints, just like digital cameras replace film, just a matte of time and could happy in 5-10 years.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
TrueNew
trueNew
easyNew
SeeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow