Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,263
easy
In reply to roustabout66, 7 months ago

roustabout66 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

roustabout66 wrote:

You print more than most, yet you still claim the print medium is capable of exceeding 8 1/2 stops or even 12 stops. Where is the evidence of that? Where is a link proving that?

No, I said print is capable of displaying the detail (at both ends) of a high DR capture...even in cases in excess of 12 stops (paper and lighting paly a big part). Advances in Paper and printing technology/processing have made it a bit more common. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Also the actual DR of print has been increased in same cases. Fuji crystal papers would be an example. MOAB SlickRock metallic (vs simple gloss paper) is another example even consumer grade photo printers can get more DR from. KODAK PROFESSIONAL Inkjet Photo Paper, Metallic / 255g would be another paper that has an expanded DR vs older paper types. Seeing the comparison in person is really the only way to note the increase in an obvious way.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Each end is not the problem, it's all that stuff in the middle. So you do not have any evidence (links).

Have you looked at the Dmax. Epson printers using K-3 inks and the special black and white mode in the driver can get up to Dmax 2.3 or even a bit higher under carefully controlled conditions. That was 2 years ago. Pretty easy to look up. Not sure a link would work as your not really looking at the print examples nest to the RAW Tiff on a 10 bit system. Have to think about that.

Only your own personal experience (feeling) to prove print medium is significantly better than 8 1/2 stops (or more importantly 12 stops).

I've seen the D800 prints by Lik on fuji personally. Pretty impressive. I think you may be confusing apples with oranges a bit as I never said the actual print DR equals that of the sensor.

I have not tried the metallic yet, but I have a Fuji crystal print 20x30 and the DR of my Canon sensor is easily more than that print.

Of course it is...I never said the actual measured DR of print (or monitor) is higher than the DR a moden sensor can capture. I said that the DR of print medium has increased (higher Dmax's) and that it is much easier, more accurate, and more representative. Much better results now when you compress the dynamic range and tonal range (proper tonal curves) so that the whole dynamic range captured is represented in print. Said another way...the ideal that the 13 stops of DR in a single capture can't be accurately represented in print due to the DR limitations of the medium.... is false. When someone says "what good is a high DR sensor when you can only print 6 stops" I smile

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
TrueNew
trueNew
easyNew
SeeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow