Bringing camera to work annual event, bad idea?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,272Gear list
Like?
Examples of possible traps -
In reply to Ron Poelman, 7 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

Your Boss may have a different idea as to what is required of you at a conference ?
I'ld be waiting to be asked, not offering (industry dependant, of course).

Alternatively, you could ask your boss for permission.

Here in New Zealand, our organisations - commercial or otherwise - also become sensitive about where any records are going - videos, photos or otherwise.

For example, in our Morris dance group, the public performances I put up on YouTube are welcome for bringing in the gigs, but practices are considered private. I am allowed to record practices, but I can circulate them to our own members only, mostly to new musicians for learning the tunes the way we play them, rather than the way they are written down.

Last month I was asked to do a video of a radio operating exercise for our Civil Defence, and I circulated DVDs to our club president who asked me, to the two main speakers at the exercise, and the head of the local civil defence as an additional request. The original reaction was 'Oh bother, why do we have to look at this'. Yesterday I learnt that the disk had been screened for an unspecified audience, and that the wife of the first speaker had watched the whole disk.

BUT, our club president specifically asked that I should refrain from putting it up on YouTube.

This is just to illustrate a couple of traps that may spring when making records of ANY desicription without invitation or permission.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow