Forum ProPosts: 16,064
true
In reply to qianp2k, 6 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

A true 4K monitor is like this one

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/professional_displays/dp_v3010.do

Will make for a nice dispaly but if you are actully planning to edit/compute at 4096x2560 pixels (10.5 mp) you might find it only works well in the winter due to the heat being given off my the video card needed to run it. To do much more than display (or watch a prerecorded movie) will require a dang large investment in computing power beyond what consumer friendly/available today or in near future...unless you restrict to very low refresh rates (sub 15fps perhaps)

Don't underestimate the progress of technology. At this moment the bottleneck is display not display card.

Not true. I have no problem finding all numbers of displays that can handle higher rez data...now, just as 10 years ago...finding a card that can drive it (at good refresh rates)a t less than hairdrier temps and noise is still the bottle neck.

I don't believe there is much pressure on still images compared to videos on display cards

True...Pre-recorded video is not that much more tasking than simply displaying stills

so as long as display cards there to support such resolution it will not generate lots of heat unless you are running 4K/8K videos.

Not true...when you talk about editing stills (in GPU intensive ways) and video...the jump in required temp, noise, and required power is pretty extreme. Not as bad as pure gaming, but still up there. Clock speed go from 300MHZ to 900MHz+ and temps commonly go from 36c to 75c+. If you don't think so...then you haven't tried editing/rendering 4k video.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
TrueNew
trueNew
easyNew
SeeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow